Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The five love languages of Beth

Tonight was book club. It was my turn to pick the book and host the club at my house. I chose the book The Five Love Languages of Children. When I read the book my eyes were open to the different ways my children were begging for love and I wasn't giving it to them.
For example; one of the love languages is physical touch. The example in the book is about how this child always grabs the moms legs when she walks by, the child always pinches and pokes and tries to wrestle and that sort of thing. The analysis is this child is she needs to be hugged and touched (appropriately) because her "love tank" hears this love the loudest and if she is not receiving the physical touch she feels unloved and may act out in ways from depression to other passive aggressive behavior. I have a child like this and I have tended to push him away because I'm not that touchy and I felt very sad that when I push him away it is telling him that I don't love him. Wow, guilt- it wasn't even Sunday.
As stated in the title there are five love language (that we all need) but there is usually one that fills our love tank and makes us feel loved. The website for Gary Chapman the author is http://www.fivelovelanguages.com/. I have tried to figure out the love languages of all the children and try my best.
We had a lively discussion and enjoyed the mini cheesecakes that I made. The kids stayed in there beds mostly- Adam had to announce he had to use the potty (Great!) But, they get to eat the leftover snacks tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment