Friday, January 13, 2012

Adam

In October I went to Adam's parent/teacher conference.  He is a very exuberant child, who never ceases to talk or make an observation.  I'm always a little wary to see what the teacher has to say.  Last year, his teacher put his desk right next to her desk so he wouldn't have anyone to talk at.  She also told me she loved Adam, and her own child had been much like him.

So, I go to see this year's teacher and she suggests that he should see a doctor, maybe for ADD.   I then began crying.  Adam is a yellow, according to The Color Code personality test, he is motivated by fun.  It even says in the book that some yellow children are misdiagnosed with ADD because of their natural want of fun.  So instead of drugging him up to behave, he has a card that he gets smiles if he behaves in class and frowns if he does not.  He has 6 smile opportunities per day.  If he gets 5 or more I give him a treat when he gets home, if he does good all week- he gets a bigger treat (like a trip to McDonald's) on the weekend.  He is receiving an award above from the principal for "being LESS disruptive in class."  I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment