Sunday, January 11, 2009

Baptism Day

Ken Malm, Mike Malm, Beth McGinnis, Elders that I don't remember their names.

Saturday, January 11, 1992 I was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It doesn't feel like it has been 17 years.

Mike and I had been dating since October 1991. Mike had not been active in the church since he was 13. He went and visited his brother Ken one weekend in October and told me he decided to go to church again. It didn't phase me- I said church is good- go. So he went, and met people there that knew we dated. They set up a missionary appointment for him and me to meet them. I told him I really didn't want to go but for him I would. Next thing I know, I had many appointments set up with the missionaries and I was taking a Book of Mormon class at the Institute and was playing pool at someones house for Family Home Evening! I remember reading the Book of Mormon after classes and I couldn't put it down. I don't know when I did homework or studied but I read insatiably. I would go to my institute class and ask questions and sometimes knew more than students who had been members all their lives. I went to church and it was Fast Sunday, I didn't think anyone in their right mind would go up to the microphone and say anything, but college students did. Another thing that impressed me was Mike and I went to a dance that had all ages there. Families would want to be there together- who knew. Mike and I went to a young single adult dance on New Years Eve and on the way home the driver, Chris Stott told me why he joined the church and I felt the spirit so strongly that I knew that I must join. I told my parents that I wanted to join the church and they asked me to wait a year. I felt like I shouldn't so I ask them to come to my baptism anyway. I asked Mike's brother to baptize me and the next Saturday evening I became a member. Afterwards while everyone was eating cookies and punch in the hall, my mom told me that she remembered my first baptism (Catholic style). I think she forgave me when I supplied her with a lifetime supply of grandkids (Mormon style.)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great story! I know my parents are enjoying their lifetime supply of grandchildren too. How can you not love them all? Happy Baptism anniversary. Mine's coming up soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my supply of grandchildren. who knew that the second baptism would result in so much love? Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your conversion story! Thanks for sharing! I also love the picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was nice to read. I realize I don't even know you personally........but I feel you are a great person and a great mom. I love to read your blog and see all your pictures. Thanks for sharing this with me.

    ReplyDelete