Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Jane Eyre


I just finished reading the book for September's book club, this afternoon. I have been plugging away at Jane Eyre for about a week now. I usually can read a book in less than 24 hours. Jane has 450 pages- comparable to Harry Potter and I read those over night.

I have found myself saying words like propensity, coquettish, greatly admired and chafed. Hopefully not in relation to changing Kenny's diaper, but a little weird. This book was a slow read because of all the old language and the footnotes that I had to look up while reading- to find out that this phrase was an allusion to Christ hanging on the cross or the blatant use of french that needed to be deciphered because I don't speak french.

Megan and I watched the movie before I read the book- and as usual they slaughtered the book. I was a little worried when I was on page 120 in the book and the movie portrayal was almost over. It will be interesting to see what the other ladies thought of this old fashioned book. I definitely want Megan to plough through it. Will she shun the ideas, avoid fluctuations of feeling, and continual combats with recollections and associations? I shall watch her countenance. I am inquisitive. I shall yield now.

No comments:

Post a Comment