Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Not ready to be a stage mom


Megan had her audition today. She came home from school and was looking up definitions and other homework. I thought, she's really all together. I would be practicing and acting nervous and jerky. She is all calm and collected. We go to the school, to the drama room. As we sit in some seats outside the audition room an eight-grader tells us that Meg can just knock on the door because no one is auditioning right now. I look at Meg and her face is turning green. She has her hands on her face and she looks like she is going to cry and throw up at the same time.


Inside my head I panic. I know she'll hate herself if she leaves right now. I tell her about how I sang the Abba Dabba Honey Moon song in an elementary school talent show (holding a stuffed monkey that was wearing a matching shirt as my dress.) I tell her that the whole school was there and my dad told me to look at the basket ball hoop right above the audiences heads- so it looked like I was singing to them but I wouldn't have to look at them. (With good reason- I was singing Abba Dabba Honey Moon, and yes, mom, I know I sang real cute with the Monkey and all.) Megan started laughing and she took a deep breath and said, "I'm ready". And then she knocked on the door.


I waited on the seats. Listening, hoping she wasn't crying or barfing. When she turned on her music I could hear her sing a little and it was beautiful. The teacher came out and said that she did a wonderful job. Parts will be posted on Friday. Whew, it's over.


The picture is Megan practicing her flute- she is so talented.

No comments:

Post a Comment